Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My mother in law's breakfast casserole

This one has become a Christmas morning tradition-it cooks while the kids opens presents.

Margaret's Breakfast Casserole

1 lb Jimmy dean sausage, crumbled, browned and drained or 1 lb chopped ham OR crumbled bacon (Mike says 24 slices to be exact-thick slices he adds) (He is presently driving me batty as he edits my writing over my shoulder)
4-6 slices bread, torn into bit size pieces
6 eggs
1 cup milk
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese

grease 9x13 pan. Line bottom of pan with torn bread. Top with sausage, then cheese. Whisk eggs and milk together and pour over cheese. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Enjoy with a side of chocolate from the kids' Christmas stockings.

1 comment:

Kristie said...

mmm...I fix something very similar and I will have it ready to pop in the oven for my family while I am up before the sun catching great deals in the morning!